Monday 1 July 2013

Why I mostly buy single eyeshadows


Certain eyeshadow palettes seem to have a cult-following online. A quick search on youtube yielded 84 000 results for the Urban Decay Naked palette. Perhaps my skepticism of the awe-inspiring "amazingness" of the Naked palettes is because I have never personally seen or touched one. Anyway, the point of this post is not to discuss the merits of a palette I have never laid eyes on but to explain my preference for single eyeshadow colours.

My experience with eyeshadow palettes is that there are always colours I do not like and will not use in them. I can usually use all the colours in trio and quad sets but in larger palettes, certain shades get a lot of love and others linger unused until I force myself to use them in an attempt to finish the palette. One palette I finished earlier this year even earned the nickname "the undead palette" because certain shades seemed as though they would never finish!

What about the cost! I hear you protest. Buying many single eyeshadows is certainly more expensive than buying a palette. But are you really getting your money's worth from the palette? Are you really using each colour and do you end up wasting some colours simply because you dislike them? Perhaps this doesn't apply to neutral palettes. I'm certain that if I didn't have so many neutral colours already, I'd get a lot of use from the Catrice neutral palette (which, incidentally, is sold out everywhere I've seen).

Source: Catrice website promo photo

I prefer buying single eyeshadows simply because I can get eyeshadows I really love in bigger quantities. And I know they will all be used up. I also find that sometimes the quality of single eyeshadows is better than those in a palette. This has been my experience with essence, for one.

What is your preference: single eyeshadows or palettes? What are your favourite singles and palettes?

2 comments:

  1. I understand your reasoning about single eye shadows! I never used to purchase palettes until I discovered Inglot where you could choose your own shades and build your own palette - that way you can be sure to purchase shades that you will use. Other then that I have the 2 of the Urban Decay Palettes which I love. The only reason I purchased these is because I knew that I would use all of the shades in the palettes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I say use whatever your heart desires as long as you love it!
    Isn't Inglot quite expensive though? I'm a little frightened to venture into the Inglot shop though, for fear that I might leave quite broke!

    ReplyDelete